Iroda’s charcoal portrait of Chester Osborn, RSASA VP and dÁrenberg Wines was selected as the preferred portrait by the sitter. Chester sat for the artist on July 7 during the 5th Biennial RSASA Portrait Prize.
There will be two Portrait Demonstrations in the RSASA Gallery during the Portrait Prize exhibition.
Tuesday 29 June – 11-1pm
Sitter: Keith Conlon
Artists: Adam Opala, Iroda Adil & Elena Budden
Wednesday 7 July – 11-1pm
Sitter: Chester Osborn, RSASA VP & dÁrenberg Wines
Artists: Philip David, Iroda Adil & Hamish Fleming
Visitors are welcome (bring sketchbook if interested). Covid-19 regulations will be in place.
5th Biennial RSASA Portrait Prize Exhibition
25 June – 17 July 2021
Gallery hours: Mon-Fri 10:30 – 3:30pm, Sat 1 – 3:30pm, CLOSED Sun & Public Holidays.
Artist Scott Eames and Hugh Adamson working on the Portrait of Lady Mayoress Genevieve Theseira-Haese / 20 August 2017
About RSASA/SALA 4th Portrait Prize Demonstrations
Apart from the amazing finalists work on the walls and the prizes what is special about the RSASA/SALA Portrait Prize is the portrait demonstrations. Watching the artists create portraits is watching art being born.
The subject is the human face and pose, live in the gallery. Watching the work come to life is a privilege. When we experience the synergy of a life-long practice, intense observation, immense skill and alchemy come together in harmony. Sheer magic happens before your eyes.
We are honoured and privileged to be able to watch these distinguished artists display their craft.
The first demonstration is on Tuesday, 30 July 11am to 1pm. Other dates are Thursday, 1 Aug, Tuesday, 6 Aug, Thursday, 15 Aug, Tuesday, 20 Aug
Explanation/details of how the exhibition will operate and expected outcomes
- Artists, professional and amateur have been invited to work on each of the sitters portraits in a variety of materials.
- Artists will complete their sketches, paintings, forms (some may take photos to work further) others may wish to make a suitable time with the sitter to complete the work.
- The general public and school groups are invited to see the portrait demonstrations during these advertised sessions.
If you wish to attend a particular session or two, you are advised to book early to reserve your seat.
Phone 08 8232 0450 or go to Eventbrite
- The aim is to allow the general public to visit the RSASA Gallery and to experience the preparation and presentation of portrait work of our distinguished sitters by very capable Artists.
- All of the portraits from the 5 sessions will be displayed in the RSASA Gallery during the Spring members exhibition“Coiled” from 22 Sept – 13 Oct 2019.
- You will be invited to come along to the opening of this exhibition on Sunday 22 Sept 2019, where all the completed portraits will be presented.
Each sitter will be invited to choose and take a portrait from their four at the conclusion of the exhibition. Sitters will be invited to purchase the other works or could be purchased by family, friends, institutions, organisations or the general public.
- We wish to encourage these sales for the benefit of the artists and the RSASA.
- Artists demonstrating will be encouraged to invite family and friends to attend to view the exhibition.
DEMONSTRATION TIMETABLE, RSASA GALLERY
Session 1 Tuesday 30th July 2019 11am – 1pm
Sitter: His Excellency The Governor of SA Hieu Van Le, AC
Artists: Scott Eames FRSASA, Hugh Adamson FRSASA, Iroda Adil FRSASA, Cheryl Bridgart FRSASA
Supervisor: Jack Condous FRSASA
Session 2 Thursday 1st August 2019 11am – 1pm
Sitter: Anne Moran, Councillor Adelaide City Council
Artists: Adam Opala FRSASA, Peter Westerhoff FRSASA, Donald Burrow MRSASA, Philip David FRSASA
Supervisor: Bernadette Freeman MRSASA
Session 3 Tuesday 6th August 2019 11am—1pm
Sitter: DR Susan Close, MP
Artists: Ellie Noir MRSASA, Peter Noble FRSASA, Cathi Steer FRSASA, Leonid Olijnyk FRSASA
Supervisor: Swee Wah Yew FRSASA
Session 4 Thursday 15th August 2019 11am—1pm
Sitter: Guy Matthews, Director of Buckingham Arms Hotel
Artists: Joshua Baldwin MRSASA, Bernadette Freeman MRSASA, Heather Lorenzon FRSASA, Penny MacLaren FRSASA
Supervisor: Barbara Dunn MRSASA
Session 5 Tuesday 20th August 2019 11am—1pm
Sitter: Vickie Chapman, MP
Artists: Roe Gartelmann FRSASA, Allan Gaekwad FRSASA, Lawrence Brown MRSASA, Carolyn Corletto FRSASA
Supervisor: Bernadette Freeman MRSASA
FRSASA – Fellow of Royal South Australian Society of Arts
MRSASA – Member of Royal South Australian Society of Arts