Dr Adam Dutkiewicz FRSASA is an art historian, abstract painter and photographer based in Adelaide. He comes from a family of artists, with two uncles and his father, as well as a brother and sister, all creative practitioners. He has a PhD from the South Australian School of Art, his dissertation a history of abstract painting in Australia. Since 2006 he has been busy with publications and exhibition curation, and has being doing a great deal of digital photography since 2011. He mostly uses an older style Canon (EOS 400D) and likes photographing aspects of the bush and details and scenes in the city and suburbs using his experience as an abstract painter to compose images.
In 2008-09, he was Nexus Writer in Residence and curated the exhibition Brothers in Arts: Works by Wladyslaw and Ludwik Dutkiewicz , and most recently prepared a two pronged retrospective exhibition celebrating the 100th anniversary of his father, Wladyslaw Dutkiewicz. The first at Murray Bridge Regional Gallery and a follow up in the city at Royal South Australian Society of Arts. He has also curated exhibitions for the Hilton International Hotel, Adelaide Town Hall, PolArt at Festival Centre, and the Royal SA Society of Arts, where he was President from 1992−94, and for whom he is now Historian. He has exhibited his own art in Adelaide and Sydney, and has worked as an art critic, writer and collections officer, and in recent years has tutored at the Schools of Art and Communications, University of South Australia.
His books include:
- A Matter of Mind: an Introduction to the Art of Wladyslaw Dutkiewicz (2006)
- Alexander Sádlo: Experimental Journey (2007), with Gaynor Sádlo
- Brian Claridge: Architect of Light and Space (2008)
- The Birth of Love: Artist brothers Dusan & Voitre Marek (2008) ed. & comp., text by Stephen Mould
- Ludwik Dutkiewicz: Adventures in Art (2009)
- Malcolm Carbins: Paintings & Drawings 1947−2002 (2010), with Michele Klik
- Lidia Groblicka; Suburban Iconographer (2010)
- The Path to Salt: a photographic essay on the Cheetham salt fields, Dry Creek (2012)
- Francis Roy Thompson: Painter of Grace & Rebellion (2014)
- Abstract Photography: Reevaluating Visual Poetics (2016), with Gary Sauer Thompson
- A Visual History: The Royal South Australian Society of Arts 1856 – 2016, vol. 1 (2016), ed. & comp.
- A Visual History: The Royal South Australian Society of Arts 1856 – 2016, vol. 2 (2017), ed. & comp.
- Andrew Steiner: Sculpting Essence (2018), with Andrew Steiner et al.
- Wladyslaw Dutkiewicz: A Partisan for Art (2013/2020)
- Adelaide Art Photographers c.1970 – 2000 (2019), with Gary Sauer Thompson